Breweries generally set up near waterways for easy transportation.
Source: Archives de la Ville de Québec

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


From 1852 to 1887, Mr. Boswell named his establishment the Brasserie Anchor.
Source: Archives de la Ville de Québec, Quebec: The Publicity Bureau, 1912

 


Source: Archives de la Ville de Québec, Canadian Trade Review

 


This building was torn down to make way for the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce church, built in 1925-26.
Source: Archives de la Ville de Québec, Quebec: The Publicity Bureau, 1912

 

 

After it was closed, this building was used for office space.
Source: Archives de la Ville de Québec, The City of Quebec Jubilee Illustrated, 1887

 

 

 

The building in which L'INOX is located housed George Tanguay's business around 1900 and the Rioux & Pettigrew warehouse around 1980.
Source: Archives de la Ville de Québec. Quebec Ancient and Modern

 

The History of Beer in Quebec City
That beverage appreciated around the world since the dawn of civilization, beer was an important fixture of life from the earliest days of the French colony in Quebec City. In those days, the consumption of beer was above all motivated by a desire to remedy a diet whose shortcomings led to scurvy. The first batches of beer were brewed in private residences and religious communities.

In Quebec City, Louis Hébert's family was in possession of a large brewing cauldron as early as 1627. It serves to brew the beer that the family needs, and perhaps also for settlers in the vicinity. It is probably this very cauldron that Champlain uses in 1633 in order to amuse his Huron friends.

The Jesuits build their own brewery in Sillery as early as 1646 in order to furnish their community with the beer it needed, while during the same period the Récollets in Notre-Dame-des-Anges start a craft brewery.

The Brasserie de l'Habitation produces beer for the residents of Quebec, who nonetheless prefer brandy and wine, which they import in large quantities from France.

In 1668, the Intendant Talon has the Brasserie du Roi constructed. By offering a beverage that is healthy, safe and affordable, he hopes to halt the public disorderliness that can be attributed to the excessive use of hard liquor, while at the time assuring that more money will be spent in the colony.

In Montreal, the Brasserie de Montréal is sufficient for the needs of settlers from 1650 to 1670, at which date a second brewery opens in Longueuil. At the beginning of the 18th century, the Charron brotherhood adds a brewery to their facilities, in order to be able to provide beer to the poor lodged there.

Brewing activity gradually disappears during the French Regime, reappearing with the arrival of the Loyalists from the American colonies, who import beer from England. It is at this moment that true brewers arrive from England.

 

The Brewing Industry in Quebec City
The brewing industry develops rapidly in Quebec's lower city during the 19th century. The majority of establishments are held by British brewers and shareholders.

St. Roc Brewery (1791-1842)
First a distillery, then a spruce beer brewery, the St. Roc Brewery was also known by the name Quebec and Halifax Company Brewery.

Cape Diamond Brewery (1800- )
Founded by Robert Lester, this brewery would change hands often. In 1816, Peter Bréhaut buys it from Thomas Dunn. By 1830, it belongs to John Racey.

Benjamin Tremain (circa 1824)
Thomas Wilson (1821-1828)
Rémi Quirouet (1821-1828)
Racey's Brewery (1828-1843)

Around 1820, four new breweries are founded in the vicinity of the St. Roc Brewery. By the end of the decade, the only remaining one, Racey's Brewery, is sold to J. K. Boswell in 1843.

McCallum's Brewery (1840-1874)
Duncan McCallum builds a new brewery across from the St. Roc Brewery. It becomes the leading brewery in Quebec City and is sold to Thomas Lloyd and Paul Lepper (1845), the Molson brothers of Montreal (1857), and then William Drum (1866).

St. Charles Brewery (1842-1870)
Formerly the St. Roc Brewery, it is also known by the name Lloyd and Lepper Brewery.

Jameson's Brewery (circa 1840)
Located in the Ilot Saint-Nicolas sector, this brewery is the property of Henry Joseph Jameson.

Fox-Head Brewery (1895- )
Owned by Mr. Amyot and Mr. Gauvin, the brewery starts production at 58 quarts per day.

Proteau and Carignan (1891-1910)
At the end of the 19th century, this new brewery occupies the site of the former St. Roch Brewery.

Champlain Brewery (1911-1952)
From its inception, it produces 125 barrels of beer a day and employs 50 people.

Boswell Brewery (1843-1952)
J. K. Boswell moves his brewery from Saint-Paul street to occupy the ruins of the Intendant's palace. Production of Boswell beer ceases in 1952, making way for Dow beer.

Dow Brewery (1952-1968)
Dow beer is brewed in the facilities formerly occupied by the Boswell Brewery. The Dow Brewery was the last of the industrial breweries in Quebec City to close its doors.

The golden age of the brewing industry in Quebec's lower city can be realistically situated between 1820 and 1850, at which time small breweries proliferated.

Industrial Brewers, Micro-Breweries, Craft Brewers and Brew Pubs
In 1909, the National Breweries consortium is born, of which the majority of industrial brewers are members. Only the Molson and Frontenac breweries in Montreal and the Champlain Brewery in Quebec City resist the trend towards a monopoly.

In 1950, there is once again a consolidation among breweries, the larger ones absorbing the smaller. The first micro breweries are established in the latter part of the 1980's. Small establishments that brew, bottle and market new beers on a limited scale, they offer products distinct from the wares of industrial brewers.

Parallel to this, craft brewers gradually open their own establishments: brew pubs. The particular vocation of craft brewers is to continually experiment, perfecting new varieties of beer. The end result of this effort is only available for consumption on the brewing premises.

 

L'INOX Continues a 300 Year-Old Tradition.
L'INOX came into being in 1987, following the association of three individuals sharing a common passion for beer: Pierre Turgeon, André Jean, and Roger Roy. In addition to experimenting with beer, their seek to have direct contact with those that will consume their brew.

They set up shop in an old warehouse (which they renovate), at the very heart of a neighbourhood that has a long brewing tradition.

Their first batch, an amber ale, is started on November 20th, 1987, and served several weeks later on December 12th. Over the years, the three master brewers keep certain recipes that have proved their worth, all the while putting new ones to the test in order to offer their clientele, always keen for new discoveries, beers that are both remarkable and unique

   
 
  L'Inox Maîtres Brasseurs
655, Grande Allée Est, Québec, Québec, Canada, G1R 2K4

Tél : (418) 692-2877 - Fax : (418) 692-5347